All about argan: the “golden” superstar
Name a skin care ingredient that’s as good for dry skin as it is for oily skin. That’s as good for skin as it is for hair. That nourishing and yet non-greasy. And best of all, is 100% vegan and natural. Drumroll, please, for argan oil: one of the most loved ingredients here at the Goodness Labs. Time to get smart about argan – in under 5 minutes!
Where does argan come from?
If you said Morocco, you’re right. Argan oil is the oil extracted from the kernels of the argan tree, which is found in Morocco. Argan oil is commonly used in food recipes across the Middle East, and in recent years gained popularity as a cosmetic oil the world over.
What’s special about argan and why?
First the why. Argan oil is well-endowed with the following phyto-nutrients:
- Essential fatty acids – useful to restore skin’s normal functions, naturally. Keeps skin healthy.
- Vitamins A & E – to heal, moisturize, repair and protect skin
- Linoleic acid – soothes inflammation on skin
- Antioxidants – to protect skin and hair from UV damage
And as it’s non-greasy, it works beautifully in hair care products.
How does argan oil benefit me?
This is where things get interesting – it’s a pretty strong list below, you’d agree!
- It moisturizes – in a balanced, non-greasy way
- It regulates – no excess oiliness or dryness. Perfectly balanced
- It fights the bad guys – e.g., free radicals, UV and stress on skin. Because it’s packed with antioxidants!
- It soothes – thanks to the linoleic acid inside
- It controls hair frizz – without getting all greasy about it
Who can use argan oil?
The best part about argan oil is that it suits all skin types, and all hair types. While it can moisturize dry skin, it can control excess sebum production in oily skin, and also help prevent pores from clogging up. And it is an excellent conditioner for hair.
How do I include argan in my beauty routine?
Lots of ways to do this:
- Directly: you can safely apply argan oil directly to your skin, hair, lips and even eyelashes!
- As a blend with other oils: this is a particularly effective way of choosing the best of all worlds. Jojoba, almond and olive oils go well with argan and complement the nutrient profile of argan
- In creams, gels and shampoos: another effective way of combining argan’s effectiveness with other do-gooders for your skin and hair
- In hair sprays: this one’s a no-brainer. Just make sure you’re not buying a chemical-laden spray with a sprinkling of argan oil. The other way round is ok 😊
Hope you found this 5-minute read useful. Know of other “skinnovative” ways to get the goodness of argan? Let us know in the comments below!