Hi ladies! The festive season is almost here, and this calls for some serious grooming & giving your skin special attention. Who doesn’t like going to the Salon/ beauty parlour? Relaxing indoors, getting pampered, people looking after your skin, making you look great- what’s not to like? The one place on earth where you get 100% me-time! Show me a woman who doesn’t like to go to a salon and I will show you a unicorn :P (Ok maybe that went a little far)
But the truth is also that all of us have experienced that occasional unpleasant after-effect of our salon visit. Like unexpected zits, rashes, “Gosh! I never saw this scratch before” and sudden dullness of the face. While these uninvited visitors need to be taken care of, it’s wiser to prevent them from showing up in the first place. So here's a quick check-list that you should bear in mind before your next salon visit so you are not in for funny surprises.
- Give your skin some time to breathe: We all are short of time, but give your skin some time to rejuvenate. Don’t go for facial, clean-up or any skin related treatment on the day of your important event. If you have to attend an event on Sunday, the best day to visit the salon for your facials is Friday or Saturday. Sunday is a big no. Visiting early gives you time to deal with any unfortunate after-effects of the treatment eg: zits, redness etc. (For blow dry and make up you should visit the salon on the same day).
- Is this for me? Choose the right facial/clean-up for your skin type and condition. Understand your skin, listen to the salon professional, ask questions and most importantly, use common sense. For example, if you are still in your 20s, don’t go for anti-ageing facial. If you have oily skin, don’t go for one hour deep cleansing with gel or rich creamy facial.
- Fresh products only: The efficacy of most skin care products starts diminishing after 12-16 weeks of opening the pack. That’s why we always recommend not go for large packs for home use. However, parlour-packs are always big in size. You have to be very careful here & try and figure out when your ‘facial kit’ was uncorked. Using old or expired creams & masks is one of the reasons why the facial that gave you a perfect result the first time, looked like a complete waste of money, the next. Many brands have single-use salon packs, and this is the way to go.
- The hygiene factor: While most of new age parlours maintain a decent level of hygiene, it’s always good to check for basic signs of hygiene like clean sinks – no hair-clogging, clean towels and well washed & maintained brushes. One often overlooked step is to sanitize your hands before doing a manicure - make sure your salon has ready access to hand sanitizers. Similarly, proper cleaning of skin before waxing is essential to prevent infections and swelling.
- Get what you’re paying for: The rates of most of the facial treatment packages in salons are dependent on the brand of products they will be using in the treatment. So just keep an open eye to ensure you are actually getting what you’re paying for from start to finish.
If you are going to spend a 4-figure amount on a facial, don’t take a hasty decision. Do a little research and then take a call. Just because it’s expensive, doesn’t mean it’s the right one for you. Also, remember to keep the weather in mind. If it’s hot and humid, no point going for a heavy duty cream and if it’s cold, doesn’t make sense opting for a gel-based facial.
That should be it! You’re all set to hit the salon! We’re going to keep giving you tips & means to look your best this festive season. So watch this space! If you have anything to add to this list, please use comments section below.
As always, be good!
After-party skin care: 5 quick must-dos
2-minute tutorials: Home facial with a clay mask
Glycolic Acid: Skincare Super-ingredient Demystified
10 commandments for sensitive skin
5 at-home skincare tricks for the weekend
Really informatic blog..thanks for sharing with us .skin pamping is very needy now’s a days.this is very informatic for skin caring.