1. Clay Masks
Weekly Skin Detox!
Basics: Face masks that contain clay or mud are essentially purifying and deeply cleansing in nature.
Best for: oil control, acne combat (true for clay masks with acne-fighting ingredients), deep cleansing and exfoliation, cooling skin and helping repair sun damage
Not great for: dry skin, very dry skin
- The clay in the face mask controls excess sebum secretion in the skin and cleanses the pores of any impurities.
- Clay masks work well for skin concerns like blackheads or whiteheads
- They give skin a squeaky clean feel and a matte, healthy look
Note: Because clay masks can be drying for some, it is best to use them no more than once a week, when you’re looking for a skin detox. If you have dry or dehydrated skin, use clay masks with caution.
2. Peel-off Masks
Instant, Smooth, Fun!
Basics: Peel-off masks gently remove impurities and dead cells from the uppermost layer of the skin and also impart nutrients to it.
Best for: quick and easy use, mild exfoliation, nutrient benefits
Not great for: deep cleansing, effective action against sun tan, acne scars and other skin issues
- Peel-off masks instantly revive and rejuvenate skin, and are the simplest to use.
- They are typically infused with skin-brightening and hydrating properties that smooth and soften your skin while making it look more radiant.
- Many even contain antioxidants and other nutrients that can benefit skin.
3. Hydrating Masks
Let Your Skin Drink 'em In!
Basics: These masks are typically of a gel or cream consistency and they’re designed to replenish very dry or dehydrated skin.
Best for: giving a moisture boost to dry and dehydrated skin, removing dryness
Not great for: using on oily skin, cleansing skin, removing impurities
- A hydrating mask can give a quick, extra boost of moisture apart from what your hydrating cream is providing. But it cannot replace hydrating creams or moisturizers.
- Some overnight masks can even be kept on while you sleep!
- If you’re dealing with dry patches or if you find that your makeup doesn’t sit well on your skin, you might want to give a hydrating mask a shot.
4. Sheet Masks
On-the Go Facials!
Basics: Sheet masks have originated in South East Asia. They are face-shaped fabrics soaked in a nutrition-packed solution called serum. The serum allows nutrients to seep into the skin. The masks need not be washed off or wiped off, they only need to be allowed to sit on the skin and taken off after 20-30 minutes.
Best for: on-the go refreshment, using on already cleansed skin (cleansed by a face wash or cleanser); occasional use
Not great for: using on skin that is not already clean, deep cleansing and exfoliation, regular use, benefiting from freshness and naturalness of ingredients (since the ingredients are present in a processed form in sheet masks and not their natural form, like in clay masks)
These are ideal for when you want a fuss-free mask for specific skincare needs.
- In general, sheet masks brighten, soften, moisturize and cleanse your skin.
- A huge variety of sheet masks are available in the market.
- Opt for a sheet mask with hydrating and rejuvenating ingredients and you can get a facial-like experience on the go.
Hope that helps! For any other queries you may have on face masks, do reach us in the comments below. Happy face masking!
Related Posts:DIY: Glowing skin in 4 easy steps
2-minute tutorials: Home facial with a clay mask
Exfoliation - easy & rewarding
Preventing blackheads: It's easier than you think!